Thursday, December 2, 2010

Help me understand this

I have had this tug of war going on inside my head since Thanksgiving. Good to know it has been since then, otherwise I would attribute it to all the cold medicine I have been taking. Anyway here goes. As humans we are always looking for that "magic" or "quick fix' to weight loss. Reality tells us that there isn't one. What works is eat less, move more. So on to the eating less. My friend started selling this weight loss product called Monovie. They have many products, but the one that is interesting to me is the Monovei RVL. It is for weight loss and all natural. It is 2 shakes in the day, a protein bar and a meal of 500-600 calories in the evening, along with this you take a supplement twice a day. She said she was discourage when she first started it and didn't see the results others were having, however when she stepped on the scale she CRIED she had lost 16lbs. ( I think she said she had been using it for 2 weeks). Half my mind screams "try it" and the other half screams "scam". This is where I am confused most diets say you should eat around 1200 calories a day, this shake made with skim milk is 280 calories ( you do 2 a day) and the bar is 100 calories then you eat a 500-600 calorie meal this =1260 calories. So you are getting just as many calories as you would if you were eating fruits and veggies. What would be the difference if you blended up a bunch of veggies and added protein powder, isn't that the same thing? If you look at any diet out there you are suppose to eat more fruits and veggies, have good carbs and limit fats to only the good ones and avoid sugar. Why do we say that diets like this Monovie, or the newest one out there " The 17 day diet" are all quick fixes and the weight will come back on. Doesn't the weight come back on because we don't continue to eat like we should? Or is the problem the fact that we didn't learn to eat real food? Or does if have nothing to do with either of those two and it is all about what is in the supplement? People don't seem to have any problem taking a multi vitamin daily when on a diet plan so what is the difference with this? http://www.monaviervl.com/ If you look at this web site you can click products and it tells you exactly what is in all 3 products, shake, bar and supplement. Help me understand this!!

3 comments:

  1. I hear the confusion. Maybe a quick fix is not the right attitude, but a slow and steady adjustment to make lifelong changes rather than putting a band aid on the problem?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is my opinion on this (you had to know that I would have one). Are you really going to spend the rest of your life eating bars and shakes? Is your body going to get the nutrients that it needs from those items? They have to be incredibly processed!

    The problem is that you can only imagine that a bar is a burger for so long... Once that honeymoon phase is over, you are going to want some real sustenance. All calories are not created equal. So eating, 1260 calories of a weight loss shake and eating 1200 calories of food that is the closest to the purest form it can be, are drastically different.

    However, since we all long to be thin/fit overnight, there will always be products on the market that will aid in that process. They will come and go because people will get tired of that feeling of dissatifaction. Then the process starts over!

    I truly believe that the only way to lose weight and keep it off is at a healthy pace where you don't feel deprived and can tell that there are incredible physical changes to your body...not just your weight but your overall health.

    Wow...that was way more than 2 cents worth for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am just responding to your comment, I don't have another way to contact you. I. FEEL. LIKE. CRAP. I am getting sad because my husband just took the kids to something I want to go to and I am not running tomorrow and my daughter has already cried once about it. I will go and help out (we have to be there at 6:30 ugh), running would be a big mistake. Sorry you don't feel well. If you want, let me know your email and we could chat that way. Does my email show up on my comment? I know it is on my blog.

    ReplyDelete