Sunday, January 2, 2011

Sugar, it really is in everything.

I have read many diet/nutrition books and articles in the past. They always seem to talk about sugar. I decided yesterday to check this out a bit more. What I really wanted to check out was how many grams of sugar = a teaspoon. Here is is 4.2 grams= 1 teaspoon. So in something so simple as a yogurt, which we think is healthy because it is low-fat and less than 100 calories, it has a bunch of sugar. I did buy one WW Berries and Cream yogurt today and it has 12 grams of sugar so 2.86 teaspoons of sugar. This flavor is low compared to some. So the question I have is how do you eat when trying to avoid hidden sugars and loads of sodium? I do need to google how much sugar one should have in a day. I have always seen it as "limit your amounts". I would like to find a more concrete answer. Anyone know how many grams you can safely have?

One place of focus for me in 2011 will be "hidden sugar". I am more of a salt person vs a sugar. I can pass on the cookies I want the chips. News flash, time to pay attention to sugar grams on the labels!!!
I got a short 35 minute workout in yesterday and today I got in 65 minutes. My plan is to continue to workout like I did in 2010, however I need and will add weight training to plan. I will start out doing the 30 day Shred or going to the Body Pump class. The challenge is the class is at 5:30 or 7:30, I get off work at 3. I will have to force myself to go to the gym when it is dark and cold out!! If I go by 4:30 I am good, any later and I just want to stay home!! I will make it work!!!

I have planned out my breakfast and lunch for tomorrow, my first day back at work in 12 days!! It's gonna be brutal!!!

I must say I have a much better mind set and feeling about what I want to accomplish this year. With that, I intend to make some noticeable changes!!!

2 comments:

  1. She, those are really great questions about the sugar. It is amazing all of the things that it's in. It is so difficult to completely cut it out unless you are going to make everything yourself.

    It sounds like you are off to a good start for the first week of the year! I will follow suit as soon as my life is my own again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see you back. I like this positive outlook, I am having it too, I just worry how long it will stick around.

    ReplyDelete